Thursday, March 27, 2008

A New Red-Haired Girl for a New Age.

Another model... this time, however, the only thing I'm borrowing is the pose, from the lovely Jessica Stam as featured in the April 2008 Vogue. This feels a lot more satisfying knowing that I invented the colors, the clothes, and the hair. Feels a lot like my senior thesis project, actually, just quicker and (cough) more interesting.

It is also only coincidence that this completes a trio of complementary colored paintings (see yesterday's post, and the day before that). I don't think this piece really goes with the other two. When you compare it to Daria (March 25) it looks so breezy and fun. I'd like to do something darker, though. We'll see.

AND, what's more fun is that this kind of reinvents "Red Haired Girl" for me. Just a little over a year since. Maybe every winter I can do a new Red Haired Girl?

AND one more and... a gift for Tina! Here's that sunburst texture... It's just something I found. As I'm sure anyone with a keen eye has noticed, I've used the exact same texture overlays for the last three paintings on here. It's a combo of this swirly texture I found, a bumpy gesso texture I made (and use in almost everything I do... time for a new one?), some hand-written journal I found, and a light bumpy texture. I've been noticing a trend in digital art that leans toward the use of layers upon layers of texture that add an extra level of depth that will generally always be lacking in this media. (even though this is the gimmickiest of gimmicks.)

2 comments:

Tina Poe said...

Thank you for sharing!! I'm going to use it in something soon.

I don't care if it's a gimmick. I think that we use it very well, and it looks good. I used textures all through college and my digital work would have looked like poop without them.

Adam Osgood said...

Hooray for gimmicks!