Sunday, October 30, 2011
Here are some beauty shots of Buster. There are a few little things with the normal map that I want to clean up and some small details in his face and body, but this is pretty close to the finished vision. My goal was to combine the diffuse, spec, and bump maps in a way that somewhat "realistically" simulates many different kinds of materials.
Some typography explorations and a test render of Anna that I made with Maya, Mudbox, and AfterEffects. The result is coolish, but I think I'd rather draw the characters by hand than use 3d models. The process I used to achieve the flattened effect was to use toon shaders with a highly-detailed bump map (to pick up the strands in her hair) and then in AfterEffects split all the color layers and reassemble them like a screen-print.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Sunday, October 23, 2011
Played around with graphic interpretations of the Mother and Gaston characters for the flashback scenes... not loving these! More work to be done.
Also did a test animation using some 3D renders. Kind of like the result. Here's the before & after.
Saturday, October 22, 2011
Heres the first shots of Buster painted up. I've painted his face and hair, the body and jetpack are up next. Also tested out the normal map transfer for his body... a lot of artifacts are showing up that I have to figure out.
Sunday, October 16, 2011
Monday, October 10, 2011
Saturday, October 08, 2011
Here's my progress on Buster. Spent a few hours on hardening the angles in his hair and on his body. Also tried exporting a Normal Map to a low-poly mesh and am pretty happy with how the results are reading in Maya. There are a few artifacts I have to work out, but otherwise it looks much higher-poly than it is.